First of all, a big thank you to Lauren Bracy for this informative guest post. I enjoyed publishing this as I found it extremely interesting and there sure are a lot of things I didn’t know about baby seats! When I was expecting my daughter about 10 years ago, I bought a second-hand baby seat. If only I had read this information sooner! Here’s what she has to say on choosing the right car seat for your little one!
Why Are Baby Seats Important?
Installing a baby seat inside your car is the best way to keep your child protected while travelling. In fact, it is mandatory in some countries to keep the infants restrained while travelling by car. Injury caused during automobile crashes is one of the primary causes of infant deaths, and car seats significantly reduce this risk. Therefore, in order to keep your child protected while travelling by car, it is important to look for a good baby seat sale. Now, it’s all good and well to find the sale. But if you’re going to buy a car seat, you need to acquire as much knowledge as possible.
Let’s know more.
What is a baby seat?
The baby seat is a special seat installed inside a car to keep a child restrained. Since the child sits protected inside the seat, he or she does not get an injury in case of a car crash or a sudden brake. Since children have a bigger head and shorter limbs, their internal organs are placed differently than adults, and their bones are not well developed, their body cannot be held securely in place using a seat belt. They need a special seat according to their body size. Therefore, it’s important to look for a baby seat sale that best suits your child’s requirements and budget as well.
How do they help?
While the baby seat keeps your child restrained, it works by doing these three things:
- Keeps the child away from the structure of the car during a crash or sudden brake.
- Reduces the momentum of the child’s body in a controlled manner.
- Distributes the crash over the stronger body parts, so that damage is not caused to the baby’s soft tissues.
Types of Car Seats
While you are going for a baby seat sale, you will find different varieties out there. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Infant car seats
- Convertible car seats
- 3 in 1 car seats
- Booster seats
- Forward facing seats
How To Choose The Best Baby Seat?
Since a baby seat is crucial for your child’s safety during car travel, you need to choose the best one out there. The most expensive one is not always the best one. Here are a few tips that you should follow while making your selection:
- The baby seat that you look for should meet the minimum safety standards set by the state authorities.
- Make sure that the baby seat you are choosing is exactly as per the age and size of your child. Buying an under or over-sized seat would not be able to provide the best protection to your baby.
- Check the manufacturer’s expiration date of the seat. Yes, baby seats also have an expiration date. This is probably because materials tend to wear down, the seat tends to develop cracks, or some parts may be missing. All of these conditions make the seat unsafe for the child. Even if it is looking good, its structure might be unsound. Therefore, it is important not to use a baby seat after the expiration date.
- The car seat that you choose should come from a reliable manufacturer only. The company that has made the seat should be experienced and trusted one and should have a reputation for making high-quality seats only.
Make sure that you install the baby seat properly. If you are not sure, you can contact a technician to check. Such technicians can be contacted at many hospitals, health departments, fire departments, public safety groups and fitting stations where they are appointed by the government to help the parents.
Now that you have so much information about baby car seats look for a seat sale that offers the best quality products at the best price. But, don’t use it beyond its expiration date for the best protection of your little one.